A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

I is For It's A Wonderful Life

 A to Z Challenge

A Month At The Movies



#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter I



Hello and welcome back to A Month at the Movies,  my contribution to the A to Z challenge for 2023.

This year I am copying from a myriad of other A to Z  challengers by reprinting the same synopsis about my theme with every letter.  You can skip over this part if you want to.  

I love movies and have decided to share with you a movie each day that I have enjoyed to one degree or another.  With each entry, I'll give a brief synopsis of the film, share a positive and negative review from Rotten Tomatoes ( a website, I didn't use much at all until preparing for the challenge), discuss its resiliency (the theme of the A to Z challenge this year), and other tidbits like whether the film may appear in my top 100 film list, which I have been revamping this year. I think that's enough in the way of introduction, considering you'll be reading it (hopefully) 17 more times this month.

Film: It's A  Wonderful Life (1946)

Director: Frank Capra



By National Telefilm Associates - Original 1946 film, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=18061926

It's A Wonderful Life is a film that needs no introduction. 


Positive TomatoCapra remained true to classical Hollywood narrative, conceived and directed here, it is true, with almost hallucinatory skill. The scenes of tenderness are capable of penetrating the armor of even the most skeptical critical mind. Andre Bazin - L'ecran Francais

Original Trailer




Negative Tomato: Capra is an old-time movie craftsman, the master of every trick in the bag, and in many ways he is more at home with the medium than any other Hollywood director. But all of his details give the impression of contrived effect. Manny Farber - The New Republic


By National Telefilm Associates - Screenshot of the movie, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17631672

Resiliency: My favorite moment of resiliency in the movie is when the Bailey's use their wedding gift money to get their Building & Loan customers through the run on the bank. 

Top 100: It's Actually in the Top 1.  It's A Wonderful Life is my favorite movie of all time.  Starring Jimmy Stewart, my favorite actor of all time, and directed by Frank Capra, my favorite director of all time.  

By National Telefilm Associates - Screenshot of the movie, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=17596045



A to Z Connection: This is the 2nd movie on my list directed by Frank Capra (Arsenic and Old Lace). 

Next Time: Just a movie about a revolutionary movement. 





4 comments:

Amy Roller said...

You’re that kinda guy, hopeful, positive, and true. Of course you’d love this movie. ❤️

Anne Young said...

I don’t think I have ever seen it. Must seek it out. I have certainly heard of it.

Nilanjana Bose said...

I love this film and have watched it several times over. All the best for the A-Z challenge!

Birgit said...

I thought I posted here. This is also my favourite film and James Stewart is my favourite actor. He is heroic when you think about his war service and that he suffered from PTSD. I believe making this film helped him in so many ways. I know Lionel Barrymore offer3d him good dvi e when Jimmy questioned if he should continue acting. The love scene between Stewart and Reed is one of the best ever! You don’t need clothes ripping off plus other blah blah…this scene is just very sensual and just love her mom’s reaction. I watch this film every year and I have the soundtrack on cd.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip