A Quote to Start Things Off

""I'd love to go to Santa Fe at some point, Emmett said, but for the time being, I need to go to New York. The panhandler stopped laughing and adopted a more serious expression. Well. that's life in a nutshell, aint it. Lovin' to go to one place and havin' to go to another. Amor Towles in the Lincoln Highway.

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Saturday, March 5, 2011

I Always Have My Camera With Me, Except . . .

When I walk by Jim McMahon

Yes you guessed it. It's Six word Saturday time at Show my face dot com and I just played my six.





Here's a bit of an explanation. Actually there are 2 explanations. If this was a t.v. show the first explanation would start with these words imposed on the screen:

25 years ago




The Chicago Bears won Super Bowl XX. There were many leaders on the team one of which was their punky QB Jim McMahon. Now that Walter Payton is no longer alive, McMahon is the living embodiment of that team (at least on the offensive side of the field).

This leads us to our second explanation. Again if this was a t.v. show and you hadn't already switched the channel you would see these words on your screen:




1 week ago ...


Our family was given free tickets to go see an Arena Football game about 15 minutes from our house. The name of the team is the Chicago Slaughter and they are coached by another Superbowl winning former Bear, Steve McMicheal. It was the opening game of the season and there was a carnival like atmosphere at the stadium. If you have ever been to a minor league baseball game, it was much like that. There were bouncy rides and other games for the kids and even a face painting station.








As the second Half was just beginning I was coming back from the aforementioned face painting station when I walked right past Jim McMahon. This was not so unusual as it was Jim McMahon night. He was posing for a picture and it would have been so easy to snap his picture right there 10 feet away from him. Very easy as I almost always have at least 1 camera around my neck when I'm in public. I am a blogger, after all.


No, I had left both cameras I had brought to the event in the stands so my family members could take pictures like this ...




But in reality they were taking pictures like this . . .













So I rushed back to the stands to get a camera but by then it was too late. McMahon had gone back to his suite and even though I did snap two pics of him there.








The best you could say about these pics was the guy sort of looked like he could possibly maybe look a little like Jim McMahon. But the thing is:


HE WAS JIM MCMAHON !!!



The evening was still a whole bunch of fun. It's not every day you can shout Slaughter the Beef. (The slaughter lost to the Omaha Beef.) I will leave you with some video of the evening.

For more Six Word Saturday click here.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Isn't that how it goes.....but on a positive note though that picture of your son taking a picture is pretty darn cute!

Linda said...

What a great post. Time with your family...and getting to be so close to someone you admire. Sorry you didn't have the camera at that moment...but you do have the memory!

Happy Saturday!

Thanks for your comment.

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

annies home said...

awesome I can remember when they were on top of the world and Jim was a leader among them all

Kathe W. said...

hahahah sounds like me! Have a great weekend.

Bethe77 said...

Isnt that always the case
Here from six words or less visiting first time doing this hop.
Blessings and have some fun!

Call Me Cate said...

Great post - I love the pictures the family was supposed to take vs the ones they DID take. My brother was supposed to video tape our wedding for us. Now, keep in mind my brother was about 15 at the time. We didn't expect professional footage, just a basic capturing of events. What we got instead? A five-minute shot of his friend telling jokes and picking his nose.

Thanks for playing 6WS!

21 Wits said...

note to self, buy small camera always carry no matter what. end note!

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip