I went to Turkey for two weeks in 199 for a short term missions trip. We took a team of 6 adults and our baby daughter. I'm going to give you some brief observations from my memories of our time there.
- We spent a majority of our time in Istanbul, which is a city on two continents (Asia and Europe)
- People on the streets of Instanbul would take our baby daughter out of our hands hold her for awhile and give her back. We were warned about this in advance so it would not freak us out.
- In 1998 cell phones while common in the U.S. had not yet exploded to their current popularity. In Istanbul, everybody had a cell phone and were constantly on them. Again, this seems commonplace in the US now but it wasn't at the time.
- Istanbul has a rich heritage and was the capitol of the Byzantine Empire when the city was known as Constantinople.
- Turkey is the home of some ancient biblical places like Ephesus.