A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Thursday, April 4, 2024

A to Z 2024: D is for Discover National Parks

<#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter D

For The A to Z Challenge this year, I am focusing on everyday holidays. Each day there are multiple unusual things to celebrate.  Every day of the challenge I look for an event taking place that day and pair it with the letter of the day.  I have also made up 5 holidays to coincide with the vowel days of the challenge.  At the end of each post I will share a special song of the day for that day's letter.  At the end of the month, these songs will be assembled in a to z keepsake playlist on Spotify.  Every day is a celebration, let's unwrap today's together. 

Today's Holiday is Discover National Parks Fortnight

Today April 4th 2024 is the first day of Discover National Parks Fortnight.  The holiday runs from April 4th to April 17th and celebrates the national park system of the United Kingdom. Don't confuse this holiday with National park week in the U.S.  this year that's April 20th through April 28th which is actually a week and 2 days.  Discover National Parks Fortnight is 14 days which is the correct length for a fortnight.

I have never been to the United Kingdom but I am aware of a few of their National Parks.

The Peak District

A moorland scene - geograph.org.uk - 718334.jpg



A moorland scene Pic taken from the path to Lad's Leap, centre skyline is the Pennine Way to Black Hill with Bareholme Moss to the right.

By John Fielding, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link

Alport Dale - geograph.org.uk - 127903.jpg


Alport Dale. Looking southeast down the dale, Alport Castles is on the skyline with the Towers just centre right.By Eirian Evans, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link

The Lake District

A591 road, Lake District - June 2009 Edit 1.jpg


The A591 road as it passes through the countryside between Ambleside and Grasmere in the Lake District, England.



Blackbeck Tarn.jpg
, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

An image of Blackbeck Tarn, a small tarn (lake) atop Haystacks, a large hill in Lake District National Park, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom. This image was taken in April of 2021


There are many other National Parks in the U.K. that I am  not that familiar with.  

Cairngarms is the largest National Park in the U.K. and is located in Scotland and  apparently, it has moose.

Cairngorms National Park (Pàirc Nàiseanta a' Mhonaidh Ruaidh) 28.jpg

, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

Snowdonia is a National Park in Wales and if the picture below is any indication it is strikingly beautiful.

Dark clouds & window in pass. (48114256128).jpg
, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link


  To find out more how to celebrate Discover National Park Fortnight click here.
 
Today's song of the day is Dance Stop by Daniel Amos.


 

 This unfortunately is the first of the songs of the day where I could not find concert footage of the song.  The A to Z  playlist is now up to 4 songs.

  
Whew! It feels like it took a fortnight to get this post out.  If you comment let me know if you've ever visited a U.K. National Park and what your experience was therein.  Also, if you could spend 14 days exploring any new place where would it be?  For me it, would be more Greek Islands, if my lovely wife was joining me  for the adventure.  

To go to the home of the A to Z challenge click here, to see the 2024 master list of participating blogs click here. Enjoy the 2024 A to Z challenge, and Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Chrys Fey said...

I've never been to a National Park, but I would love to. Those are amazing photos.

Alana said...

I have never been off the North American continent so I enjoyed your national park pictures. I've been to a number of U.S. national parks. They are gems and I'm sure yours are, too.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip