A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Thursday, April 18, 2024

A to Z 2024: Q is for Quatrains



  #AtoZChallenge 2024 letter Q

 For The A to Z Challenge this year, I am focusing on everyday holidays. Each day there are multiple unusual things to celebrate.  Every day of the challenge I look for an event taking place that day and pair it with the letter of the day.  I have also made up 5 holidays to coincide with the vowel days of the challenge.  At the end of each post I will share a special song of the day for that day's letter.  At the end of the month, these songs will be assembled in a to z keepsake playlist on Spotify.  Every day is a celebration, let's unwrap today's together. 

April 19th is Poetry & The Creative Mind Day

& Today is also Poetry Friday Hosted by Heidi @ My Juicy Little Universe

The last time I posted at Poetry Friday I did an introduction to the A to Z challenge and an invitation to participate there-in.  Today, I will give those visiting from the round-up  a glimpse of what a regular a to z post looks like and at the same time show the A to Z folks what A Poetry Friday submission is all about.  

Today Q is for Quatrains and other poetry related stuff as the holiday du jour  is Poetry & The Creative Mind day.  I'm not sure why it's on the 19th or how it originated,  But right near the middle of poetry month here is a nifty little holiday to celebrate poetry. So let's celebrate it, but first a dumb joke:


Q: What's a quatrain?

A: Not much. what's a quatrain with you?

According to Merriam Webster, A quatrain is a unit or group of four lines of verse.  I have decided to write the heart of my A to Z post in quatrains today.  I am following an ABCB rhyme scheme


My A to Z Q Post


The A to Z Challenge

Is a big to do

Each year I struggle

As I get to Q


My theme this year

Has been Holidays

I've tried to approach it

In some different ways


Each Day, save Sunday

Calendars I consult

And search for Holidays

That I can exult


When I find the occasion

That I like better

I match the event

With that day's letter


For example April 2nd

Was Children's Book Day

B is for Book

I put on display


On the days of the alphabet

That start with A, E, I, O or U

I created my own holiday

Don't ask Y, but it's true


Today's Holiday

Wasn't hard to find

It was Poetry

And the creative mind


But how would that match 

With the letter Q?

I just scribbled out some

Quatrains for you


This has been Poetry Friday

And Also A to Z

Thanks ever so much

for joining me.  


*********************************************************************************

Today's song of the day comes from the late Rich Mullins.  It is Quoting Deuteronomy to the Devil

The Spotify A to Z playlist is now through Q



***********************************************************************

If you are joining from Poetry Friday, I want to mention two blogs participating in the A to Z challenge that are including poetry in all their posts.  The first is Sue's Trifles where her most recent post was a poem using pararhymes.  The other blog is the Versesmith, where the most recent post was about prompts and preludes.

If you are joining from A to Z blogging, I want to tell you about another April challenge and that is the 2024 Kiddy Lit Progressive Poem.  On April 1st one poet started it off with a couplet and each subsequent poet has posted the earlier couplets and then added their own,  For April 19th it is Reading to the Core's turn. Her submission is right here.  I will be adding a couplet on the 28th of April.


To go to the home of the A to Z challenge click here, to see the 2024 master list of participating blogs click here. To enjoy more of Poetry Friday click hereEnjoy the 2024 A to Z challenge, and Poetry Friday. Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

Bridget Magee said...

Q is a tough letter to tackle, but your quatrain poem is a fun read. :)

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I do love a self-referential bit, and this one takes the quake! Kudos to you for sticking with this for so many years, and THANKS for the playlist, Dave--I'm following!

Tabatha said...

When it's time to do Q
a good choice is "quatrain,"
so you can remain urbane,
pop poetic champagne!

TraceyKJ said...

The challenge of Q! Your quatrain was a great path to follow! I really enjoyed the stanza beginning with “On the days of the alphabet...” Fun to think of the alphabet like a calendar of sorts!

Linda B said...

I'm doing an A to Z thing but a bit different, Dave. For 'Q', I did "question". I love the sing-song of your poem, would be great to read aloud (or sing) and I love "Don't ask Y, but it's true".

Patricia Franz said...

A perfect Q poem! Thanks for sharing this, David!

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip