A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

A to Z: H is for the Home of Haggis

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter H

For The A to Z Challenge this year, I am focusing on everyday holidays. Each day there are multiple unusual things to celebrate.  Every day of the challenge I look for an event taking place that day and pair it with the letter of the day.  I have also made up 5 holidays to coincide with the vowel days of the challenge.  At the end of each post I will share a special song of the day for that day's letter.  At the end of the month, these songs will be assembled in a to z keepsake playlist on Spotify.  Every day is a celebration, let's unwrap today's together. 


Today is the day to celebrate Scotland from both sides of the pond.  

Here are 10 Things about Either Scotland of the Science Festival:

1. The Proclaimers are from Scotland.  Here is a great song of theirs called appropriately enough, Scotland's Story.

 

2. Haggis is the national dish of Scotland.

A haggis serving.JPG


, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

3. Scotland is a country and is part of the United Kingdom,

4. Golf originated in Scotland.

18th Green and Clubhouse.jpg
18th hole of St. Andrews and Clubhouse

Von paul birrell, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link


5. David Tenant voices Scrooge McDuck on DuckTails and they are both from Scotland!

Carl Barks (1117409530).jpg
Carl Barks Donald Duck artist at Comiccon  , CC BY 2.0, Link

6. Edinburgh is the Capital of Scotland.

2006 11 26 Edinburgh 434 (51089998805).jpg
, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link


7. The Edinburgh Science Festival began in 1989.

EdSciFest 2014 (8).JPG
An Experiment being demonstrated - Edinburg International Science Festival 2014 , CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

8. The festival "was the worlds first public celebration of science and technology as a festival."

9. The festival has over 250 events for families and adults.

10.  Valentina Treshkova, spoke at the inaugural festival in 1989, 26 years after becoming the first woman in space.

VTereshkova.jpg
By Leo Medvedev/Лев Леонидович Медведев, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

 


********************************************************************************
The Song of the Day is He Reigns by The Newsboys
  

This gets the Leap Of Dave A to Z challenge Spotify playlist to about a third of it's capacity.   
 That's all for today.  Leave a comment about why you like Scotland, Science, both or neither.  


To go to the home of the A to Z challenge click here, to see the 2024 master list of participating blogs click here. Enjoy the 2024 A to Z challenge, and Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Linda Curry said...

I remember crossing the border into Scotland in 1998 and feeling I had come home. My ancestors left Aberdeen for Australia in the 1860s. However I had a really bad cold the whole time I was in Scotland and don’t think I would have survived the weather had I stayed any longer. I’m now about to read your posts backwards to A.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip