A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

2024 A to Z Challenge

#AtoZChallenge 2024 badge

Thursday, May 9, 2024

Poetry Alive 2024


In late December 2022, my daughter told me about  a poetry group that  met the first Monday of the month.  She and I went in January both enjoyed it so we have been attending ever since.  The group meets both in person ad remotely.  Emma and I have only attended in person so far.

The structure of the group is that the poets share any poems they are working on the the moderator leads us through the theme of the week and then gives us a prompt to work on.  After the group is finished composing, they share the work they just completed.  n

In 2023 several poets shared one poem about Elgin, the city I live in, o Valentines Day. Our group was asked to participate in that.  In April of last year we all participated in a event called Poetry Alive where we all read several of our poems at a  public meeting.  My daughter chose not to participate last year i the event but went with the rest of our family to see me read.

Many of the poems I have submitted for Poetry Friday have bee written during or shared at our monthly poetry meetings .  For today's Poetry Friday I would like to present the You Tube video of the 2024 Poetry Alive presentation.  This year Emma participated as well.  We are the 2nd and 3rd poets.  There were 4 rounds of recitations.  Poetry Alive 2024 took place on the night of my 26th wedding anniversary, so in honor of the occasion, I adapted a song I wrote for her into a poem and recited it in the third round.Poetry Friday is hosted this week by Linda Mitchell at A Word Edgewise

6 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

I'm snapping my fingers. That was lovely to hear you read your poem. You are braver than I. I've read a poem before but I don't really enjoy reading to an audience. Your daughter was brave and fun. Hooray for her too!

TraceyKJ said...

What a wonderful group! Everyone seems very supportive. I am glad that your daughter decided to participate with you this year!

Tabatha said...

Congratulations! Well done! It's special to find a group you enjoy AND to be able to share it with your daughter :)

Rose Cappelli said...

Nicely done, Dave! I especially liked hearing about the poet inside of you (and hoping there's one inside of me, too.)

Karen Edmisten said...

You're lucky to have such a wonderful group! Thanks for sharing this!

Denise Krebs said...

Dave, this was so fun to listen to you and Emma reading at Poetry Alive. So fun to be able to do this with your daughter. You all do look alive and joyful in the reading and sharing. Your rainy days in June was lovely.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip