A Quote to Start Things Off

""I'd love to go to Santa Fe at some point, Emmett said, but for the time being, I need to go to New York. The panhandler stopped laughing and adopted a more serious expression. Well. that's life in a nutshell, aint it. Lovin' to go to one place and havin' to go to another. Amor Towles in the Lincoln Highway.

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Missouri Relief Project

Joplin Tornado 5 by DMangus
Joplin Tornado 5, a photo by DMangus on Flickr.


Spider Droid and I have an opportunity next week to do a work project near Joplin, Missouri where a massive tornado decimated the city on May 22nd of this year.

I will be posting again before I leave with a little more info what he and I will be doing.

I am not the handiest guy with a hammer and that is putting it mildly. While we don't know exactly what we will be doing this is a work and constructrion trip, something that is definitely out of my comfort zone.

Yet when we heard of the trip we felt compelled that we should help any way we can.





This leads me to my 2 questions for the day.





1) How do you react to tragedy like a flood, tsunami, earthquake, act of terrorism etc.?

2) Have you ever felt compelled, called, motivated to do something out of your comfort zone? Did you do it? How did it go?



For more questions head back to Self Sagacity.

4 comments:

Icy BC said...

1) Natural disasters make me sad, and I would help in anyway I can. However, terrorism just makes me mad and take revenge in my thoughts.

2) I felt the called to do thing out of my comfort zone once in a while, such as working in the soup kitchen, volunteer to tutor the kids in school, and I did them. It was a wonderful experience.

Good luck on your trip!

Cathy Kennedy said...

My first reaction is one of great saddness. It's so hard to see others suffer. Next, thing I do is pray.

When ever and if ever I'm called to step outside my comfort zone, then I'd be willing to serve in the capacity God would use me best.
Check out….
Apple Pie in the Sky – T2Q
O is for Otters

Happy blog hopping,
Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

Self Sagacity said...

The trip will be such an experience. You're wonderful to have volunteered.

1) I feel so bad for the victims and the location. Sometimes it takes years to build and in some disasters everything is wiped out very quickly.
2) YES. Big huge YES. I always do. Not enough of me to go around, but I would love to do any kind of charity work.

Colette S said...

Natural disasters break my heart because I have been in them and know what it's like to sit in cold and wait for food and water and clothing.

I usually help with donations and volunteering through our church.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip