A Quote to Start Things Off

""I'd love to go to Santa Fe at some point, Emmett said, but for the time being, I need to go to New York. The panhandler stopped laughing and adopted a more serious expression. Well. that's life in a nutshell, aint it. Lovin' to go to one place and havin' to go to another. Amor Towles in the Lincoln Highway.

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Friday, January 8, 2010

Six Word Saturday



My six words for today . . .

A brief history of restaurant water.

I remember when I was a kid, we didn't go out to dinner very often, especially to "sit down" places. We went often enough I was at least acquainted with the restaurant culture. You would be brought to your table and there would be a glass of water set at each place.

Now sometime in my 20's water ceased to be set out unsolicited. It is still to this day available in most sit down restaurants at no charge to the patron, it just needs to be requested.

At about the same time that water was becoming an item that needed to be ordered it was also becoming bottled. Now the same water that you get at the water fountain or from the tap at no cost can be purchased. Recently we've found out that tap water is generally safer than bottled water as there are more regulations about how it is produced than bottled water. Not to mention the problem of the proliferation of plastic bottles.

Today, I was at one of those / fast food restaurants with my two oldest kids. I call it a / restaurant because it combines two fast food chains under one roof. I don't want say which two restaurants but let's suffice it to say that the menu was filled with poultry prepared in a method derived from the bluegrass state and pirated seafood items. I ordered milk for the kids and a cup of water for myself. I was charged 10 cents for the water! I have been charged for a cup of water before, but it is usually as a means of getting people not to just get free water never for paying customers. I wonder if this is a harbinger of things to come?

So that's the state of restaurant water from setting it out in advance to putting it on the tab. For other Six words amble over to Show My Face Dot Com

Next Time: Library Week Part II

9 comments:

Bridgette said...

Paying for water?!? Give me a break!

Autumn said...

Hah here in South Carolina, at a certain restaurant with golden arches, they charge you 25 cents for water. No matter what.

Autumn said...

Oh and the bottled water at the same place is $1.00 more.

brandi said...

~drives me crazy..."we'll have to charge you for that!" so now when we are out and about i try to keep water on hand in the car...no more water paying for me...when i am already paying for it at home...what next...a charge to use their bathroom facilities! toilet paper cost money too... brightest blessings~

Maude Lynn said...

Would you believe that they charged you for the cup because they have to keep an exact count of them? It's true!

Kathy said...

Bummer. Perhaps a sign of things to come?

Dr.John said...

Some history makes me very sad!
A six word response from the
Fortress.

WeeSally said...

I try to avoid bottled water, but the taps at my office are NASTY, so I make use of the free bottled water they provide. I can't wait to get back home to Scotland and have yummy tap water freely available.

Happy 6WS!

Call Me Cate said...

I worked in a convenience store a million years ago and the water was free but we charged for the cup. Crazy.

Thanks for playing 6WS!

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip