A Quote to Start Things Off

""I'd love to go to Santa Fe at some point, Emmett said, but for the time being, I need to go to New York. The panhandler stopped laughing and adopted a more serious expression. Well. that's life in a nutshell, aint it. Lovin' to go to one place and havin' to go to another. Amor Towles in the Lincoln Highway.

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

June, July and August


I don't remember the first time I heard the joke, I have heard many variations through the years. The essence goes like this: Q: What are the best three things of being a teacher? A: June, July and August.

Last summer I lost my job and became the teaching parent in our home school family. My wife went back to her career as a school psychologist. My kid's school year ended the week before Father's Day, my wife's last day was the Friday before Father's Day. We are now in the midst of what amounts to be an 8 week paid vacation provided by our school district.

I would not go as far to say that these three months are the best things to be a teacher. Having this time with my family unencumbered by non-family concerns sure make Summer my favorite season. Before this it was Paprika.

Our main exploits this summer have been gardening, swimming, biking and reading. In addition we've been on a number of outings; some as a full family, some in partial strength.

In addition to our weekly cleaning day we made a list if "bigger jobs" we wanted to accomplish this summer and are knocking them out about one every week. I also am taking one afternoon a week to prepare for the school year and the two classes I will be teaching at the co-op this year.

When I was the "paycheck" parent I enjoyed the summer and tried to get as much time off that we could spend as a family. Having all five of us all home for this extended family time certainly works for me.

To see what works for others go to We Are That Family. Next Time: Strawberry Picking With Emma.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

That is so awesome that you can all be together for the summer! It sounds like you are having a great time.

renee @ FIMBY said...

cool. sounds wonderful!

MediMonsters said...

Sounds like a great summer!

Jenny said...

that's awesome. i wish i could have my husband home through the summer vacation. he works at our high school as a grounds keeper. but they make him work through the summer. makes me a sad panda. :(

mub said...

I'm having a laugh over summer replacing paprika as your favorite season ;)

AudreyO said...

I've always loved summer as it's just a slower time of year. The days are longer and we get to enjoy more outdoor time.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip