A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Monday, April 8, 2024

A to Z 2024: G is for Going to the Zoo

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter G

For The A to Z Challenge this year, I am focusing on everyday holidays. Each day there are multiple unusual things to celebrate.  Every day of the challenge I look for an event taking place that day and pair it with the letter of the day.  I have also made up 5 holidays to coincide with the vowel days of the challenge.  At the end of each post I will share a special song of the day for that day's letter.  At the end of the month, these songs will be assembled in a to z keepsake playlist on Spotify.  Every day is a celebration, let's unwrap today's together. 

April 8th is National Zoo Lovers Day

I love zoos.  I'm not sure exactly when I fell in love with them .  It may have been all the times Dr. Lester Fisher visited the Ray Rayner show when I was a kid on a segment called Ark in the Park.  Dr. Fisher was the director of the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago.  It could have been on my trips to the Brookfield Zoo when I was a kid, I know I had one birthday party there.  It  may have even been when my grandparents would take my brother and sister and myself to the aforementioned Lincoln Park Zoo.  It may have been all of those things and more.  

Here is a link to one of our other blogs that shows a great video from a family trip (sans me) to the Brookfield Zoo.  

I really enjoying going to free zoo's.  Here is an article from February of this year talking about 12 such zoos (I've been at 3 through 6). 

# 6 The St. Louis was the most recent zoo I visited.  Here are some pictures form my trip in March



My favorite animal, the giraffe at the St. Louis Zoo

In my 2015 A to Z challenge


Raja The Elephant at the St. Louis Zoo
Raja has been at the zoo for 30+ years


An Amur Leopard at the St. Louis Zoo
I went to the zoo with my dear friend Dave Hendrick
We were both missionaries in Khabarovsk Russia in the early 1990's
Khabarovsk is situated  on the Amur River

***************************************************************************

Speaking of animals: Today's song of the day is Gonna Buy Me A Dog by The Monkees

7 songs in my A to Z playlist looks like this

 
***********************************************************************************
Today is also the day for the total solar eclipse.  We will be watching it at school today.  The next one won't me in the U.S. until August 23rd 2044.  Instead of pushing 60 like I am now it will be exactly a month before my schedule 80th birthday.  My Dad turned 86 on March 23rd and he will be watching it with my Mom and brother.  So that's older than I will be next next time.

Will you be watching the eclipse today?  Do you enjoy zoos?  Answer either or both of these questions in the comment section.

 To go to the home of the A to Z challenge click here, to see the 2024 master list of participating blogs click here. Enjoy the 2024 A to Z challenge, and Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

Pradeep Nair said...

Giraffe is one of the most fascinating animals!

Jeanne Bryan Insalaco said...

Yes, I love giraffes! It's so awesome when you can feed them and we experienced that at Lion Safari near Loxahatchee, Fla. and the Animal Safari in Virginia. It was so much fun to be at head level with them and feed their purple tongues..

Writing Sparkle said...

The zoo is such an amazing place to go. My children love animals and learning all about them.

Stopping in from A-to-Z: https://brewingcoffeetwistingwordsbreakingpencils.ca/2024/04/08/general-store/

Pamela said...

I took my Brownie troop to an event at Brookfield Zoo many years ago. My favorite zoo is the National Zoo in Washington DC; I'm glad we got to see the pandas before they left for China. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Kaye Spencer said...

HAHAHA I loved the Monkees so much. (Well, I still do.) I'd forgotten about "I'm Gonna Buy Me a Dog". Thanks for the trip down musical memory lane. Loved it. ;-)

Janet said...

We have a good zoo in San Francisco and our next door neighbor is one of the zookeepers.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip