A Quote to Start Things Off

""I'd love to go to Santa Fe at some point, Emmett said, but for the time being, I need to go to New York. The panhandler stopped laughing and adopted a more serious expression. Well. that's life in a nutshell, aint it. Lovin' to go to one place and havin' to go to another. Amor Towles in the Lincoln Highway.

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Monday, May 30, 2011

Raising the Bar on Fractions

Visual learners I love them! I married one, but I am not one. I am pretty sure the girls are visual learners. Spider Droid is very good auditory and a good kinesthetic learner.




The Hershey's Milk Chocolate Fraction Book is a great tool for the auditory, visual and kinesthetic crowd. Especially if you provide your own chocolate.





We used our own chocolate bars and placed them over each page of the book.





The kids took turns reading the book, placing the chocolate and even taking the pictures I am sharing here.











I like these pages because it gives a strong reinforcement that 12 twelfths is the same as one whole.










We really weren't able to stack the pieces exactly like in the book. But the kids got the idea.







Note: To put chocolate on each page as we did, you will need at least 3 candy bars.









The idea of addition and subtraction of fractions is very tangible with manipulatives. And Hershey's makes for a very tasty manipulative.




We split them up after the lesson and there was even some left behind for me.









The Carnival of Homeschooling is at Why Homeschool this week. Click here to check out all the fine entries in the Memorial Day Edition.




Next Time: Bribing your kids? Get on board.

No comments:

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip