A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Thursday, February 9, 2023

Poets in the Family

 My daughter Emma and I started attending a live poem workshop at our library at the beginning of the year.  It meets on the first Monday of the month and the first thing we do is go around the table and share a poem we have already written if we would like to.  

Monday Afternoon was very hectic at my house.  Amy was out and about and everything was going wrong.  The workshop started half an hour earlier than I thought it did, dinner was a hot mess,and I was in a foul foul mood.  By the time we got on our way a gorgeous full moon was shining on the river that our library sits upon and it had a calming effect on my soul reminding me what the important things were and how I was chasing the unimportant.  

Emma and I got into the meeting right as the poetry sharing was beginning. I jotted this poem down and then recited it when it was my turn.


Inside Outside Upside Down

(With No Apologies to Sam And Jan Berenstain)

Inside


Running late

Mixed up meeting time

bad mood

burnt food

rush rush rush


Outside


Circle moon

Yellow glow

Silence between loved ones

That speaks comfort

Through the admiration of beauty


I'd like my inside to be more like the outside. 


After I read my poem Emma read hers.  She had written it previously but I  still took it as a warning that I need to be careful with my words, thoughts, and actions so I don't hurt the ones I love.

I encouraged Emma to start a poetry blog. She had a few other blogs when she was younger, but doesn't use them now.  Her poem and my poem are both at Poetry Friday this week.  It is being hosted this week by Carol at Beyond Literacy Link.


Love,

Dave


8 comments:

Susan T. said...

How fun that y'all get to do that together! I enjoyed reading your work and your daughter's.

Carol Varsalona said...

Father-daughter combo teams up. Your poem holds all the sentiments. I'm off to read your daughter's poem.

Linda B said...

Glad you found the outside for a lot of calming, Dave. How great that you and your daughter are writing together and doing the workshop!

Mary Lee said...

Thank goodness for the clarity of the moon!

Kay said...

I often find myself in a similar state--and looking at the moon or stars does have a calming effect.

Patricia Franz said...

Dave, what I find beautiful is that both of you wrote truthfully and then shared it. I wondered who penguinbunny was when I came across the link. Now it all comes together. Very nice to have you both contributing.

Rose Cappelli said...

Thanks for sharing, Dave. The wonder of the moon gets me every time!

Karen Edmisten said...

I love that you and your daughter are writing together and sharing your work with others, too. So wonderful!

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip