A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Last 5 Next 10 Vol III

 Summer is the time traditionally where I do a lot of reading. So far this Summer, I have read more than the anemic pace I set for myself at the start of the year.  I don't have that much to show for it as I am currently reading several books at a time but hopefully will be finishing a mess of those soon.  Here's what I've been up to recently.

Last 5 Books


I am using my HDOLL rating system.  Each books falls somewhere between hate and love with dislike okay and like coming between those extremes.

How To Hold Animals - Toshimitsu Matsuhashi



Why I chose this book: Our library has a section near the check out stations that I liken to the impulse buy aisle next to the check out aisles at a retail store.  I wondered why anyone would write, read or publish this book.  But my curiosity got the better of me.

Type: Book (read myself)

How Obtained: Borrowed from local library

Rating: Between okay and liked. 


In The Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson




Why I chose this book: As a substitute teacher I often end up reading parts of books to my classes to never encounter them again.  Being a big Jackie Robinson fan I decided to check this book out.

Type: Audio Book through my phone

How Obtained: I borrowed this book  from my library using the Hoopla app.  

Rating: Between Liked and Loved,

The Brave and the Bold Team-Up Archives Vol I





Why I chose this book: A few weeks ago I took my niece to our local library as she was visiting us for s few days.  I grabbed a couple of comic books off the graphic novels shelf to peruse while she read her books.  

Type: Hard Cover Book

How Obtained:  Borrowed from my local libray.

Rating: Solid like.


Black Widow Vol 1: The Ties That Bind- Kelly Thompson





Why I chose this book: I saw this book on the shelves at my local library and picked it up as the Black Widow movie was opening later in the summer and I thought it might be a good read in preparation for the movie

Type: Paperback Book

How Obtained: Borrowed from local library

Rating:Solid Like

Essential Defenders Vol I





Why I chose this book: In May I visited my friend Patrick.  He has an entire room in his house  dedicated to his comic book collection.  He had  a number  of volumes of The Defenders  which was a group of mostly loner super heroes that served as the last line of defense for humanity.  He was kind enough to lend me the first two volumes.

Type: Paperback Book

How Obtained: Borrowed from friend

Rating: Closer to Like than Okay.

2021 Book Stats as of  7/6/21

Previous estimate as of  5/25/21 25.43 books by the end of the year, 

After I finished Defenders Vol I yesterday I also finished book # 16 for the year.  This is fairly common as I am often reading multiple books at the same time.  I'll include that book in my next post but will include it in my projections for the year.  After reading 16 books in 187 days I'm on pace to o read 31.22 books  by years end. 

 

10 Books I'm  Reading or Planning to Read Soon


Farmer Boy - Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Unaborted Socrates - Peter Kreeft

News of The World - Paulette Jiles

World of Wonders- Aimee Nezhukumatathil

Schulz and Peanuts - David Michaelis

Essential Defenders Vol II

150 Glimpses of The Beatles - Craig BrownTT

The Answer is ... Reflections on My Life- Alex Trebek

The Big 50 Chicago Bears - Adam L Jahns

Sooley - John Grisham




 



No comments:

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip