A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Thursday, June 16, 2022

I Can't Skip

 It's Poetry Friday again and this is my 3rd straight week participating.  Before I share today's poem I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words about The time we're given experiment.  I just thought it would be interesting to start 2 poems with the same line, I had no idea what would come from it.

We've been doing some Spring cleaning around these parts and a few weeks ago my wife and daughter found one of my old college writing assignments. It was for a non-fiction creative writing class which I may put on the blog later.  On the back of one of the pages, I scribbled a poem.


I Can't Skip.

I can't skip.
Don't ask me to
I can't,
I won't.
I don't
Skip ...

I'd like to skip
It's fun,
It's free.
It's me,
It's who I want to be.

But I can't.
So, I won't,
And I don't.
Skip  ...

"Can't you skip?"
"No."
"Everybody can skip."
I can't.


This week's Poetry Friday is being hosted by Michelle Kogan.



7 comments:

Linda Mitchell said...

Ha! What a great poem with that dry humor at the end. Love it! Poetry Friday can be addicting...enjoy there's so much to learn and play with. Now, I "think" I can skip. I haven't tried it in a long time. I'm off to give it a go...but if I fall and break something...I'm going to poem about it.

Mary Lee said...

In contrast to Linda's reading of your poem, I thought it was a poem about skipping class! Your mention of college and the non-fiction creative writing class must have prompted my brain in that direction. I like it better as a hop-SKIP-jump poem!

Linda B said...

Love the discovery, now wonder what prompted the writing those years ago. I had a student once who wrote about not being able to whistle. All his friends tried so hard to teach him! Wouldn't it be fun for a group to write what they cannot do! Thans, Dave!

Janice Scully said...

Funny! I love the rebellion in it. Welcome to Poetry Friday. I hope you continue to share your work, Dave.

Michelle Kogan said...

What determined fun your poem has, perhaps the non-skipper will return sometime and surprise us… Nice to meet you Dave, happy writing, and thanks!

Rose Cappelli said...

Great rhythm in your poem, Dave. I can skip, but I could never figure out how to cartwheel. Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Patricia Franz said...

Dave, what's fascinating about your I Can't Skip poem is that, having read your prelude, I thought the first stanza was probably referring to not being able to skip over reading assignments for a course! Then I realized you were being literal - and fell in love with the poem because it's so perfect for children... and then fell in love because you are a grown man and can't skip! Love it!

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip