A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Monday, April 9, 2012

No School Today? A Review

 
AS IN HOMESPUN


I have been meaning to review Christina Ramos-Payne's fine collection of homeschool comic strips for some time now. I have been a big fan of Cristina's blog Home Spun Juggling for some time now. This book, a collection of her early strips is fantastic.

I love comic strips and have most of my life. The Home Spun strips remind me in some ways of the excellent comic strip, For Better or For Worse. But Home Spun is definitely it's own animal.. Cristina really gets to the heart of homeschooling. I relate very easily to her work because my children are much like hers.   But even in the areas I can't can't empathize with she does a masterful job crafting her narrative so that the humor is obvious to all.
 
I guess the best way to review this book is to share some of the strips from the book ad tell you what I think of them. 
 
  DSCF3866
This is a great strip in so many ways. The thing I like most about it is the sentiment.  The Mom is glad that her daughter showed such kindness to her little brother.  At the same time she is bemused that her daughter will not be able to shine as the star of the show.  But you can tell by the wistful glance in the last panel that her daughter’s decision does make her the star of the show. 

DSCF3871
I had my daughter write a short review of this  book for her blog.  This is the strip she liked most.  This strip rocks, because proficiency can never replace passion. 


DSCF3872
I don’t know the technical terms related to comic strip writing.  So I just make up my own terms.  Each comic strip usually has one main punch line that the strip builds up to.  Sometimes there’s a joke at the end wholly unrelated to the continuity.  I would probably call it the non sequitir if there wasn’t already a strip with that name.  So I’ll call it the late hit.
The strips that I think do the late hit the best are Calvin And Hobbes and Fox Trot.  The above strip is of that caliber.  I also can relate quite well to it as Bunny has finished many a book just checked out from the library before we ever left the building.

DSCF3874
I guess I don’t have to say why I like this strip. 

I would strongly recommend this book for both homeschoolers and comic strip aficionados and folks like me who are both.  No School Today can be purchased at AmazonBarnes And Noble and Create Space

4 comments:

jugglingpaynes said...

Thank you for the nice review, Dave. It made my day. :o)

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

Liz Brownlee said...

Lovely! My other half is a film editor and we stayed in the mountains in BC, Canada for him to edit a black bear film, for 2 months, and I home-schooled my son while we were there with our hosts' two children. It was great fun. Our daughter who was 11 went to the local school and really enjoyed herself there. Our two went to a village school here in the UK, rather like a family, our daughter could read at 2 anyway, but our son could read fluently by 4 and half, and both have blossomed into wonderful young people. I do believe in both home education and education in schools with few children, caring and passionate teachers, space, fun, and enough time int he schedule for - 'unscheduled wanderings' into places the children have shown interest in. You sound like a fab dad!

In case you are interested, I am a UK poet for young people and adults, my blog is about endangered animals, I'm leaving you my A-Z link as blogger always identifies me as my shared blog with other poets and authors - my A-Z is this one: http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

Chuck said...

Those strips were pretty cool. And homeschooling is pretty cool to!

Annie Kate said...

Fun!

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip