A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Sunday, April 30, 2023

A Month at the Movies End Credits

#AtoZChallenge 2023 Reflections

  Last Month I participated in the A to Z Challenge.  My theme was A Month at the Movies.





The Films I examined were ...


Arsenic And Old Lace (1944)

Breaking Away  - 1979 

Chariots of Fire - 1981

Dave - 1993

Empire Strikes Back, The -1980 

(F) 42 -2013

Gattaca  - 1997

Hidden Figures -2016

It's A Wonderful Life -1946

Jesus Revolution -2023

King's Speech, The- 2010

Last Full Measure, The - 2020

Man For All Seasons, A - 1966

North by Northwest - 1959

Ordinary People - 1980

Persuasion - 1995

Quiz Show - 1994

Return To Me - 2000

Silverado -1985

The Muppet Movie -1979

UHF -1989

Vertigo - 1958 

When A Man Loves A Woman -1994

X-Men: First Class -2011 

You Can't Take It With You -1938

Zootopia -2016


A Closer Look

  • 5 of the movies are from before 1964 (before I was born)
  • 13 of the films were made between 1964 and 1997 (before marriage)   
  • 8 of the films were made since 1998 (since I've been married)

Each post contained my thoughts on the film, a positive and a negative Rotten Tomatoes review,  a comment referencing what the film had to say about resilience, which was the theme of the A to Z challenge this year, a comment regarding whether this film might be in my top 100 films of all time (a list I'm in the process of revising), and any connections the film might have with other films in the challenge. 


Previous Years Challenges 

2012: No Theme

2015: Nouns

2015 White Sox Home Run Hitters (Crazy Uncle Dave's Sports Blog)

2016 Y is for You Tube - Dave Out Loud

2016 Cubs Home Run Hitters - Crazy Uncle Dave's Sports Blog

2016 A to Z  Superheroes (Sadly I no longer have access to these posts)

2019 Songs of the Sherman Brothers Random Acts of Roller

2020 State and World Capitals Random Acts of Roller

2021 Living in 1921

2022 Wordles, Limericks, and Home Runs (Oh my)


Reflections on 2023 

At times I wondered when quoting negative and positive reviews of each film whether people might be confused about how I felt about the film.  Other times I felt a little bit of guilt in posting a negative review of a film I adored.  However, my intention was to show the reader the spectrum of opinions that a movie no matter how well done can engender.  In the end, I was gratified that I could find well-reasoned arguments on both sides regarding the quality or lack thereof for each of my selections. 

For the most part, this was another good year at the challenge.  I did not interact with as many other blogs as I would have liked to.  I don't think I looked at any blogs other than my own for the last week of the challenge.  Each year I tell my wife that I should have all the posts written before the challenge starts.  I never get anywhere near that goal.  This year I had a few fully prepared in advance, but I had set up each post in advance and had added good chunks of information ahead of time.  For example, I had the graphics copied to the individual posts about 2 weeks ahead of time and the Rotten Tomato reviews were linked usually the Sunday before the week they appeared.  I also in retrospect was wise because I finished Z and Y completely before the challenge, so when Friday hit and challenge fatigue was at its highest, I was essentially finished with the challenge.


FAQ

Did each film represent your favorite film with that letter?

No, some films were, and many films were not. Adventures of Robin Hood is one of several A movies that are in my top 100, whereas Arsenic and Old Lace will probably not make my top 100.  Arsenic and Old Lace was the one I chose to feature.

Did you have certain criteria for choosing each film?

I wanted each movie to have had a theatrical release, and I wanted it to be a movie I had previously seen and enjoyed,  Other than that I did not have specific criteria.

Did you rewatch each movie in anticipation of the challenge?

No, but I did rewatch some prior to writing my post and watched others on or near the day the post dropped.  I watched You Can't Take It With You this afternoon with my wife as a post-challenge treat.


Closing Remarks

I think that there should be a week or so between the end of the challenge and the beginning of the reflection period.  Reflection shouldn't be rushed and rest and reflection walk happily together.  Of course, I want my reflection to be near the top so more people can read it, so I eschewed the rest and am finishing my reflection on the challenge before the challenge has officially finished.  

In that vein, I would not start the A to Z Road Trip until Memorial Day.  On the positive side, I think it's grand that there will be at least one post a month on the challenge blog for the rest of the year.  I did one of those posts in February 2022 and would be honored to step in again if asked. 

Next Year: I plan on an A to Z look at characters from The Chronicles of Narnia.  Each year since 1983, I have been reading all the books at least once and this year when I do I'll begin making a list of which characters will appear here in 2024.








10 comments:

Susan Sanderson said...

Although I rarely watch films, I notice that I have actually seen three of these. I'll be back to see what you thought of them.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Sounds like you already have a great plan for next year.

Ronel visiting for Reflecting on a Double A-Z Challenge 2023

Kristin said...

I think if I waited a week, I might not write up the Challenge, ever.
Looking forward to your Narnia Challenge Theme next year!

Liz A. said...

Yeah, post writing and visiting are a lot, especially if you're not used to it. It's one of the reasons I didn't officially do it for the last three years. I still didn't do much visiting. It's hard at this time of year. Life gets in the way. Congrats on completion.

J Lenni Dorner said...

It is a balance between getting posts out and hopping to other blogs.
We started the reflection sign-up early because many bloggers post it on the first of May, and complain if they can't put their links somewhere right away. We do try to please as many people as possible.

I enjoyed the April Blogging from #AtoZChallenge 2023.
Proof of Existence, book two in my dark urban fantasy series, came out in April. I hope you'll check it out.
And please don't miss the amazing giveaway on my blog. Act fast and enter now!

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Reference& Speculative Fiction Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

jabblog said...

Interesting theme. I have seen some of the films on your list, but my film-watching is either with young children or on television. I like listening to Mark Kermode, though:-)

Deborah Weber said...

Congratulations on finishing another challenge. It's always an evolving response trying to figure out how to keep up with your own posts and visiting other bloggers. It's great that you've already figured out your theme for next year!

Wendy said...

Congratulations on finishing another challenge. You obviously put a lot of thought and effort into your posts and I'm very impressed that you already have a plan for next year. I've only seen a few of your listed films but will be interesting to go back and read your thoughts on them. I did very little blog hopping during April and trying to catch up now.

Random Musings said...

Good theme! I like the fact you included both a positive and a negative review for balance although I know what you mean abotu feeling guilty posting a bad review of your favourites lol

Beth Lapin said...

I don't watch many movies, so I found your summaries balanced and useful.

Beth
https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip