A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Thursday, April 6, 2023

E is For Empire





 A to Z Challenge

A Month At The Movies




#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter E

Hello and welcome back to A Month at the Movies,  my contribution to the A to Z challenge for 2023.

This year I am copying from a myriad of other a to z challengers by reprinting the same synopsis about my theme with every letter.  You can skip over this part if you want to.  

I love movies and have decided to share with you a movie each day that I have enjoyed to one degree or another.  With each entry, I'll give a brief synopsis of the film, share a positive and negative review from Rotten Tomatoes ( a website, I didn't use much at all until preparing for the challenge), discuss its resiliency (the theme of the A to Z challenge this year), and other tidbits like whether the film may appear in my top 100 film list, which I have been revamping this year. I think that's enough in the way of introduction, considering you'll be reading it (hopefully) 21 more times this month.

Film: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Director: Irvin Kershner




Star Wars Begin Again



   


Old friends are back.





Too back new friends are

Darth Darth Darth Darth Darth Darth Darth Darth Darth



Positive Tomato: The Empire Strikes Back displays the same soaring imagination that made Star Wars a filmmaking classic; most other space movies seem clunky and earthbound in comparison. Bob Thomas - Associated Press 


By Bogaerts, Rob / Anefo - [1] Dutch National Archives, The Hague, Fotocollectie Algemeen Nederlands Persbureau (ANeFo), 1945-1989, Nummer toegang 2.24.01.05 Bestanddeelnummer 931-2164, CC BY-SA 3.0 nl, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27409421





Negative Tomato:  A Stars Wars that has not only lost much of its humor and charm but more important a good deal of its innocence, traveling in the process light years away from the shiny magnitude of its original world  Joy Gould Boyum - Wall Street Journal 





If you look closely you can see the Millenium Falcon avoiding being eaten.


Star Wars Episode 5 is in my opinion the best sequel ever made. How do you follow up on a film that revolutionizes the movie industry?  By continuing to revolutionize.

Resiliency: The empire is very resilient when it comes to replacing admirals. 

Top 100: This movie is definitely in my top 100.  The question for me becomes do I put it before or after te original Star Wars. I think what I did with my original 100 was place them back to back which makes the order less consequential.  I enjoy watching Empir more than I watch New Hope, but as I explained to someone at C2E2 (A midwest Comicon-like event) I would rank Star Wars just a little higher than Empire since Star Wars paved the way for it.  When I make my official top 100 later this year we will see if I have the courage of my convictions.  

Next Time: F is for First 

For more A to Z Challenge click here.

2 comments:

Birgit said...

This is my favourite because I thought it more advanced than the first and not so..dumb as the 3rd ( the little Ewoks can bring down a big ass elephant style robot with ropes and stone. Crazy.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

I feel much the same as you. I love Empire and objectively it's better than the original Star Wars in many ways, but I usually put the 1977 above it on my favourites lists just because it's the original and it's still so much fun.

E is for Edge Highlighting

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip