A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Friday, April 28, 2023

X is For X-Men First Class

 A to Z Challenge

A Month At The Movies

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter X

This year I am copying from a myriad of other A to Z  challengers by reprinting the same synopsis about my theme with every letter.  You can skip over this part if you want to.  

I love movies and have decided to share with you a movie each day that I have enjoyed to one degree or another.  With each entry, I'll give a brief synopsis of the film, share a positive and negative review from Rotten Tomatoes ( a website, I didn't use much at all until preparing for the challenge), discuss its resiliency (the theme of the A to Z challenge this year), and other tidbits like whether the film may appear in my top 100 film list, which I have been revamping this year. I think that's enough in the way of introduction, considering you'll be reading it (hopefully) 2  more times this month.




Film:  X-Men: First Class (2011)
Director: Matthew Vaughn

Positive Tomato: Great action, riveting drama, real dilemmas, and interesting characters... X-Men: First Class is fun all the way. Nikhat Kazmi - The Times of India 

Negative Tomato:  Worst of all, the movie doesn't even look that great for all the money that went into it. David Harris - Spectrum Culture

The A to Z Challenge has, well, it's challenges.  One of those challenges is choosing topics for certain letters.  X is a very difficult letter to pick a topic for.  When I was in Highschool the movie Xanadau came out.  I remember watching it, but I don't remember much else about it, except I didn't think it was very good.  I was planning on reluctantly watching it again, but then I remembered the X-men franchise and decided that any of those movies would be better than watching Xanadu again.



I did not see this movie in the theatre but watched it on t.v. a few years after it came out.  It tells the story of how Professor X and Magneto formed the X-Men and then went on their separate ways.  It Stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, and Kevin Bacon.

I think it was clever to set the film during the Cuban missile crisis, the height of the cold war.  There are some aspects of the movie I wasn't too fond of, but overall it's decent entertainment.

Resiliency: Xavier has 2  major setbacks handed to him at the end of this film.  As this movie was set in the past and is based on well-known comic book characters, we know that Professox X had the resilience to get beyond both setbacks.  

Top 100: I will have 2  possible 3 superhero movies in my top 100, this will not be one of them.

A To Z Connection: This is one of two movies in the challenge that concerns itself with genetics (Gattaca).
 
Next Time: Your basic class comedy.



2 comments:

Joy Weese Moll said...

X-Men is definitely a good solution for the dreaded X post!

Birgit said...

This is a good one but I love the original first 3. Now I am totally lost with all the superhero movies…way too many.

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip