A Quote to Start Things Off

Somebody told me there was no such thing as truth. I said if that's the case then why should I believe you" -Lecrae - Gravity

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Thursday, April 13, 2023

K is for King's Speech

 A to Z Challenge

A Month At The Movies

#AtoZChallenge 2023 letter K

Hello and welcome back to A Month at the Movies,  my contribution to the A to Z challenge for 2023.

This year I am copying from a myriad of other A to Z  challengers by reprinting the same synopsis about my theme with every letter.  You can skip over this part if you want to.  

I love movies and have decided to share with you a movie each day that I have enjoyed to one degree or another.  With each entry, I'll give a brief synopsis of the film, share a positive and negative review from Rotten Tomatoes ( a website, I didn't use much at all until preparing for the challenge), discuss its resiliency (the theme of the A to Z challenge this year), and other tidbits like whether the film may appear in my top 100 film list, which I have been revamping this year. I think that's enough in the way of introduction, considering you'll be reading it (hopefully) 15 more times this month.

Film: The King's Speech (2011)

Director: Tom Hooper

By www.lancashire.gov.uk - Flickr: Filming Colin and Helena, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=32805634

Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter are all amazing in this film that celebrates growth mindset on a royal stage.  A stuttering prince becomes King and finds his voice. 

Positive Tomato: reminds us of a time - not long ago at all - when substance counted for something, and admiration, even among those born to privilege, had to be earned. Bill Newcott -  AARP Movies for Grownups. 

Negative Tomato: A wonderfully-acted, well-crafted motion picture, but one that is also brutally dull. Brent McKnight - The Last Thing I See

I usually don't comment on the tomatoes and just get on with my business.  Today, I'll deviate from that practice to say I did not find this movie boring at all.  It is a captivating story from beginning to end. It is an uplifting movie and in many ways a surprising one.  It's hard to be surprising in a bio-pic but I think this one pulls it off nicely.



Resiliency: It takes resiliency to overcome an impediment, It takes resiliency to restore faith in the monarchy, It takes resiliency to encourage your people on the brink of war.  Prince Albert of York later known as King George VI had to do all 3 pretty much simultaneously. 


Top 100:  I like this movie an awful lot and if you asked me I'd say I think it would be in my top 100. Then, when we counted all the films I'd think would be in my top 100, and got upwards of 165, I'd have a decision to make.  At that point, this movie's reign might be over. 

A To Z Connection: This is the 2nd film in the challenge featuring a portrayal of Prince Edward of York who for a short time was King Edward VIII (Chariots of Fire)

Next Time: Late recognition for a fallen hero. 

6 comments:

Amy R said...

I enjoyed this film. I'm not sure if I would list it in my top 100, but it's certainly up there. I love the portrayal of a king with a flaw.

Liz A. said...

I do like this film. I don't think I could ever make a top 100 list of favorite films. I'd have to break it down by decades: favorite films of the 1930s and such.

Misky said...

I’ve seen this movie several times, and never tire of seeing it!

John Holton said...

The speech left me in tears. I was so happy for him.

Nancy Hill said...

I should watch this film, I'm sure I would like it. But I tend to watch escapist stuff about other universes. At times the monarch does seem like another world, though.

Birgit said...

So many people are down on this film and I don't know why? I think it's a fad thing. I love this film and never tire of seeing it. One of my favourite moments is when the king is building a model airplane and sings about how he was abused.. quite devastating

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip