A Quote to Start Things Off

""I'd love to go to Santa Fe at some point, Emmett said, but for the time being, I need to go to New York. The panhandler stopped laughing and adopted a more serious expression. Well. that's life in a nutshell, aint it. Lovin' to go to one place and havin' to go to another. Amor Towles in the Lincoln Highway.

Search Me!

Pictures of Memories I

Pictures of Memories I
Snow kidding! These "kids" now range from 17 to 23

Saturday, April 17, 2021

O is for Oskar.

#AtoZChallenge 2021 April Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter O

 I don't know a lot about cancel culture, but I seem to hear and read a lot about it.  My best understanding of it is that with cancel culture people can be reduced to the worst thing (or most recent bad thing) that you've done and  other positive achievements are overlooked or forgotten in light of the bad.


Oskar Schindler was not a product of cancel culture.  He seemed to be more of the opposite.  Nazi, serial philanderer, spy, war profiteer are labels that could easily mar any good  you could otherwise accomplish.  But in Schindler we find an extremely flawed man remembered and revered for his greatest accomplishment.


Oskar Schindler

Years lived before 1921: Thirteen
Years lived after 1921: Fifty Three



I personally was raised thinking that life was like a moral bank ledger where you hoped your black ink outweighed your red.  I no longer feel that way.  In some ways like the hundreds of Jews that Schindler saved from death in concentration camps I was saved  by a conscious choice not of a flawed man but by a perfect God.  

For more A to Z challenge click here.

6 comments:

John Holton said...

"I was saved by a conscious choice not of a flawed man but by a perfect God."

Beautiful...

Edward Hall said...

Fascinating, I've not seen Schindler's List but keep meaning to. It's probably the highest rated film on IMDb I've not seen. Your post had me inspired to look up more about the man who bankrupted himself to save his 1,200+ Jewish employees leading him to be the only former member of the Nazi party to be buried on Mount Zion. Now I need to find the film!
Thanks for sharing!
Ed - wizzardSS Reviews

Red said...

That is a very good point! I watched Schindler's List, but so long ago, I forgot (if I ever knew) that he was a nazi, too.

It's a shame with cancel culture, that many people will either not get a chance to right whatever "wrong" got them canceled, or even if they try to fix it, their intentions may be misunderstood.

Alice Gerard said...

I am happy for you, that you have the gift of faith. And thank you for the poem that you wrote for me, in the comments section of my blog. It was beautiful!

pilch92 said...

Excellent post.

Maggie said...

This was a really thoughtful post, I appreciated the viewpoint. Thanks for sharing!

A to Z 2023 Road Trip

#AtoZChallenge 2023 RoadTrip